Mutter of Purl

My opinions (and I do have a lot of them) on knitting and sometimes other topics.

Sunday, August 05, 2007

Tip-toe Through the FruitStripes

I have made some progress on the socks I started under the influence of a margarita. I left the toes as they were and forged ahead. Actually, I couldn't wait to get the toes done so I could end the torture abandon the use of the Addi Turbo needles. I know that there are scores, nay, thousands of you knitters out there who have sworn your allegiance to Addis. I am not one of them. In fact, I hate them. The cable is very stiff so knitting 2 socks at a time, toe-up is constantly wrestling with the outer loops. And another thing. The metal needles smell bad, somewhat like a metal grocery cart. As soon as I had the toes done, I unloaded gave away those circular Addis and all of the other Addis I had. All 4 sets. I feel much better using my bamboo and ebony needles.

Back to the socks.

The pattern is a simple feather and fan that I think shows off the self-striping yarn very well. I have decided to call these socks the "Fruit Stripe" socks after FruitStripe gum we used to buy when I was a kid. I can still hear the little T.V. jingle in my head ("Yikes! Stripes!......) As you have no doubt noticed, the feather and fan pattern is also a ripple pattern. I guess my obsession with rippling continues, albeit subconsciously.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

At 7:37 AM, Blogger Riss said...

You're the very first person I've seen bad mouth the Addi Turbo needles. I won't even touch metal needles. They're far too sharp, and everything slides off of them in a blink of an eye. I don't even want to attempt getting Turbos...

So glad I'm not alone. I'll stick with my Bamboo needles. They make me happy. :)

 
At 3:30 PM, Blogger Aim said...

I love your fruit stripe socks--very happy and cute!

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

So sweet....love those yummy fruit stripes!

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Dude, I love Fruit Stripe gum...although it lost its flavor so quickly I soon had the entire pack in my mouth...big wad o' gum let me tell you.

Anyway, I *love* those socks!

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger Soulknitting said...

LOVE those socks! I would love to make them my SECOND pair of socks. I just finished my first pair of magic loop socks ever! But I want to do toe up next. Is there a pattern for these somewhere? soulknitting at hotmail.com

Thanks, Kim.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Love the colors, although I still have yet to hear the siren song o' the sox. I'm a-soxual. Soxophobic.

And really? You hate addis?! I just love them, and I can't stand bamboo b/c everything seems to stick. I think we represent the yin and yang of knitting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home