Mutter of Purl

My opinions (and I do have a lot of them) on knitting and sometimes other topics.

Thursday, June 01, 2006

I dyed a little...

After much mulling over techniques and colors, I finally got down to the knitty gritty of dyeing yarn for the DYE-O-RAMA. As you can see in the first photo, I made one full skein of self-striping sock yarn in my dye buddy's favorite colors. I used Wilton icing colors and they came out pretty vibrant.

The next photo is of the self-striping in an oven bag, ready to go into the oven at 225 degrees for 1 1/2 hours.

The third photo shows the finished self-striping on the left.

The 2 smaller skeins on the right and center are a technique I read about on the web called Knit-Dye-Reknit.

It was fun and I will certainly be dyeing more yarn again. I have a few color combinations in mind I want to make for my own use, not to mention combos for friends and family.

Last today, but certainly not least is a photo of my finished Somewhat Cowl. It has taken me 2 long months to complete and as much as I like it, I don't think I feel the need to make another one. I frogged the equivalent of 5 skeins total on this project. 5 fairly large skeins, mind you. I now have time to work on my Amazing Lace cardigan and perhaps start another Sexy Knitters Club KAL in July.

3 Comments:

At 6:45 PM, Blogger Heather said...

That self-striping yarn turned out great! The burgundy-ish winey ones are kinda neat looking too!

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Christie said...

Hi Molly...I just read your comment on the Amazing Lace challenge #2 and want to encourage you to post! There are some brilliant, funny KAL'ers, but your own voice is unique and deserves to be put out there. I just wanted to say that. Thanks for letting me share... :D

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Elspeth said...

What a neat way to make self striping yarn! The sweater looks amazing too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home