Mutter of Purl

My opinions (and I do have a lot of them) on knitting and sometimes other topics.

Friday, January 05, 2007

Still number 2

As I have yet to receive my notebook full of knitting needles from Washington, I am still using only the #2 circs that I brought with me. Okay. I will make do with what I have right now. It beats buying new sets of Suzanne's Ebony needles or worse, not knitting at all!

These mitts were made for my youngest daughter after I told her about the Arrgyle socks I was planning on making this year. Since she doesn't wear socks in SoCal, I thought she might like mitts instead. Well, she liked the idea a lot! So, I made up the pattern and here they are. I duplicate stitched the skull and crossbones on after the mitts were done. I used Rowan 4 Ply in black. I was somewhat disappointed that the color crocked on my bamboo needles and all over my hands. I guess I expected Rowan yarn not to do that. Whatever.

Not to play favorites, I am now knitting a pair of socks for my oldest daughter. She lives in a colder climate and wears handknit socks that I have made for her all the time. The yarn is Socks That Rock in the Pebble Beach colorway. I really like the light and dark turquoise, tan and brown tones in them. Instead of making just a straight stockinette sock, I decided to use the Eyelet/January 11 pattern from my 365 Stitches a Year perpetual calendar. It is a simple pattern and the repeat fits perfectly. Again I am using size 2 circular needles and am knitting from the toe up. Since her feet are narrow, there are 48 stitches around instead of the 60 I used for the last 2 pair of adult size socks.

4 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Molly!
LOVE the skelly mitts and the PB socks...You've got some lucky kids!

Yes, the Saturday WeHo SnB is on the 2nd Saturday of each month. Hope to see you next week, 10am-noon!

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, one more thing....I used Koigu sock yarn to crochet the belts and a very tiny crochet hook. They are just single crochet around some rings, attached to the straight portion of the belt. I can explain the pattern to you when I see you. Remind me!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Monique Marie Sauniere said...

Thanks, Ellen! I will be seeing you on Saturday.

 
At 8:52 PM, Blogger Melanie said...

Hey Molly,
How's it going down in SoCal?
With all the crazy weather hijinks happening up here, I am feeling a bit green towards you at the moment ;).
I love the sock yarn! I think I may have the exact same in my stash somewhere...I'll have to go diving and see.
The mittens are cool 2. I am going to be attempting my 2nd try to the we call them pirates hat as soon as I finish up some wip's (my 1st attempt was way to big).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home