Mutter of Purl

My opinions (and I do have a lot of them) on knitting and sometimes other topics.

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Knit and Crochet Therapy

Part of my healing has been to start a new knitting project, a new knitting project and a new crochet project.

When in Michael's in Tarzana a couple of months ago I found very large skeins of Sugar and Cream Confectionary yarn. By large I mean 710 yards! The colors were so appealing, muted and different than the usual Sugar and Cream that I was compelled to bring home 5 of them. They then ripened in the trunk of my car for a month or so while I tried to figure out where in the apartment they would be stored. When my oldest daughter came to L.A. last month to support me and spend a few days helping me, she saw the yarn in my trunk. I had decided to make a bathroom rug for her and she liked the idea. So I started it. 5 colors starting in the upper left hand corner and going down 3, I simply followed the same color sequence 3 times. A single crochet border of 1 row white and 2 rows blue finish it off.

Shiloh said she doesn't need washcloths but instead would like hand towels. Eventually I will make 5, 1 of each color. The border is a simple moss stitch and plain stockinette in the center.

I have been looking for a handbag for the Spring and Summer months. I either haven't liked them or they are too expensive. (spending over $200 for a straw bag just seems wrong to me) My friend Melinda has a commercial handbag (actually, she has a LOT of handbags!) crocheted in shell stitch that I covet. While wandering the aisles of Michael's, I came across J.P.Coats Royale crochet thread, size #3. The colors tan and natural work well together so this is my version of Melinda's bag. The Sunburst pattern comes from pages 93 & 94 in the book Crocheting School. The colors remind me of fine lingerie with ecru lace. Ellen says it has a vintage look to it. I gotta admit, she has something there! The plan is to crochet 9 sunburst rows of each color, then add handles and line it. I also want to crochet an opening on the outside to allow a small zippered pocket for whatevers. If there is enough thread leftover, I may make an eyeglass case, coin purse and small make-up bag. How utterly matchy-poo. I love crap that goes together.

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6:30 PM, Blogger Natalie said...

The rug is so nice and the crochet purse is delightful!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Everything is coming along quite nicely and looking lovely. Hey, I miss you and we have to do something. I'm back in town and should be here the rest of the summer. I think I'll be at SNB on Thursday. I think.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home